Significant challenges exist in strengthening the Climate Change Adaptation (CCA) and Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) communities for coherent, mutually reinforcing and pragmatic planning and action. PLACARD seeks to to increase resilience against climate and disaster risks by supporting the coordination of these two communities.
The PLACARD project will tackle current challenges by
- Providing a common ‘space’ where CCA and DRR communities can come together, share experiences and create opportunities for collaboration;
- Facilitating communication and knowledge exchange between both communities; and
- Supporting the coordination and coherence of CCA and DRR research, policy and practice.
PLACARD’s approach to achieving these goals is to establish a comprehensive coordination and knowledge exchange platform for Climate Change Adaptation (CCA) and Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR). This platform will foster dialogue and consultation among stakeholders (e.g. researchers, research funders, policymakers, practitioners) to address gaps and fragmentation challenges in current CCA and DRR research, policymaking and practice, and support the development and implementation of an evidence base for research and innovation policies.
This overarching network will enable these communities to share knowledge, to discuss challenges and to jointly co-produce options to bridge the gaps they experience. It will support the development and implementation of a research and innovation agenda to make better use of research funding, as well as to develop guidelines to strengthen relevant institutions in their efforts to mainstream CCA and DRR.
Specific objectives of the PLACARD project:
- Establish a network of networks of different CCA and DRR stakeholder groups and initiatives at the international, European, national and sub-national scales;
- Create a common space to facilitate dialogue and consultation among stakeholders and initiatives;
- Design effective science, policy and practice dialogues;
- Take stock of the CCA and DRR decision making context;
- Facilitate and guide knowledge exchange and mobilisation between CCA and DRR;
- Strengthen CCA and DRR institutions and give direction to policy-practice agendas;
- Streamline the dissemination and implementation of ongoing and evolving research and innovation activities on CCA and DRR across scales.
PLACARD will evolve iteratively learning from the different processes and experiences with the stakeholders, and being flexible and responsive to changing needs. The project will be supported by weADAPT, which will provide a platform that builds upon and links existing CCA and DRR platforms to streamline the dissemination and communication of CCA and DRR activities. The PLACARD Consortium is built around the leadership of a number of key European institutions experienced in CCA and DRR policy and practice, and UN organizations leading and engaged inpost-2015 agendas.
Are you on the CCA–DRR map?
PLACARD is analysing the landscape of Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change Adaptation.
Add your organisation to the landscape by filling in the online form.
Exploring the potential of ecosystem-based approaches
Our policy brief highlights the complex nature of environmental challenges and make recommendations for the integration of ecosystem-based approaches within CCA and DRR science, policy and practice. Find out more…
Connecting CCA & DRR – outputs from our workshop
Our workshop brought together policymakers and networks from across Europe to consider how to better integrate climate change adaptation (CCA) and disaster risk reduction (DRR) in both policy and practice. Find out what we discussed, what we discovered and how PLACARD can help.